Monday, February 14, 2011

Sella Turcica (2010)

Cast: Damien A. Maruscak, Camille Keaton and Jade Risser

Writers: Don Moore, Fred Vogel, Shelby Vogel

Director: Fred Vogel

Before I get started, I'd like to state , I am a fan of Toe Tag Pictures first series "August Underground". I found it to be great but that's a whole different review or reviews altogether. I wanted to say something about the ludicrous back and forth review wars on the "Sella Turcica" IMDB page. I think in my opinion both the fans and the haters have their valid points in certain aspects but can't help but feel, the great reviews and the bad reviews are related for some reason. There were certain claims stated that really had nothing to do with anyone's arguments and some of the haters kept emphasizing on the same exact words or terminology used in response towards the film. With that I'll say, everyone is entitled to hate what they want to hate, love what they want to love and anything else in between. No amount of warning can keep anyone away from something "bad" in fact it works in reverse. I write my reviews based on my own honest opinion, I know a few directors and they know if I think their shit sucks I'd tell them up front. Someones "turd" is the prize of someone else. So on to my thoughts of "Sella Turcica".

Well to be perfectly honest, the trailer and film in ways screamed "DeathDream" to me, but rather than cast it out as a bastardized rip off I saw it as more of an Homage. Since both being similar yet different. For those that may not know Sella Turcica is a depression in the shape of a saddle at the base of the human skull, in the sphenoid bone. Sella Turcica is also Latin for "Turkey Chair" (Turkey like the country) and basically a lot of it's causes are seen throughout the film happening to our leading man, it may be a bit exaggerated as to where he seems more lie a zombie (sorry if that's a spoiler) but it's just to give an understanding as to what it is and what the condition can cause to happen.

The film is basically about a soldier returning back home from Iraq after being relieved from active duty do to an unknown accident leaving him paralyzed and missing for days. He returns home and really does not look good at all. Aside from being ridden to a wheelchair, he's also very pale and seems rather out of it and weak. So we witness his struggle as it grows from worse to chaotic and it effects his family in the worse way possible.

 The plot was decent, though as I stated it reminded me of "DeathDream" and I prefer to see it as a homage, rather than a blatant rip off. Its fairly easy for anyone to be sought as a rip off and if that's the case, explain more of Vogel's work. It felt a little slow really and dramatic which is definitely a different step for Vogel and Team Toe Tag, and not necessarily a bad step either. It's always great to muster up something new and experiment. Not to find your niche really, but to offer more to the fans.

The acting however, was kind of here and there and either ranged from semi-decent to terrible. I have to give Murascak his due, he did a pretty good job and although he was most picked on I have to say Harvey Daniels role flowed naturally. Not to sound as if I'm trying to make Black men sound stereotypical, but He reminded me of many people I know like him. So in my opinion he was great and had more ups than downs. I grew fond yet annoyed of Gavyn (Daniels) and I felt very sympathetic for Murascak's character as well. He's coming home from war not knowing what's wrong with him and it seems as if his family is too self absorbed to care and some even seem to be using him as an excuse to be that way. I feel that is a realistic interpretation of how many families can be and in ways many can relate to. Last but most certainly not least Camille Keaton. That is all. If you don't know the Queen, then you're obviously not a fan.

The death count isn't too high whereas this is more of a focus on the final hours of him and the family and does not escalate beyond that. But the gore is nice you can always expect impressive gore from TTP even if it's minimal as it was here. I would love to see what they can do with a greater budget and more time on their hands, more time leaves more room for less errors and a lot of independent films run on short schedules due to everyone's schedules and so on. The deaths are pretty graphic and gruesome though and they made me feel warm and fuzzy on the inside.

Overall, I really enjoyed this film. There are certain points where the writing felt a bit lackluster and it dragged, but it was the intention to feel more for the characters so it's not a bad thing. The music had an eerie yet gloomy tone to it and I feel it set the right mood for the film cause many will sympathize for the character and characters.  I would only recommend this film to a selective crowd of people that I know can sit there and watch the film and appreciate it for what it is. The film didn't bore me cause the story was pretty solid and can invoke emotion to those who are not biased towards lower budget films. I can't help be feel, in my opinion, Vogel has the makings of a modern day Fulci. I did like the film and that will allow me to give this film four and a half busted skulls out of five.

5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment