Sunday, February 20, 2011

Quest For The Egg Salad (2002)

Cast: Jesse Green, Chris Seaver and Tim Ekkebus

Writer: Chris Seaver

Director: Chris Seaver

Feels like not too long ago I was introduced and possessed by the insane world of Low Budget Pictures. The not having the ability to follow with extreme loyalty, I have been allowed to get my hands on what few and proudly owned films that are in my collection. I still recall back to my first encounter with an LBP film. It was "Quest For The Egg Salad". While watching, I wasn't really paying attention cause I was cleaning and such but one scene caught me and made me restart the whole film, in which I laughed my ass off and my mom whom I was living with at the time said "this movie is retarded just like you" whilst watching and laughing her ass off as well. So in the wake of Low Budget Pictures closing their doors, I decided I will HONESTLY review the films I have seen so far. I emphasize on honesty because as I said before I don't suck up and these as are many of my reviews are my honest opinions and thoughts on the film or films in my blog.

The film is a slick and subtle blend of fantasy parody and gross out comedy and what a mix it is indeed because it's extreme underground humor, better yet LBP's extreme underground humor is unmatched. Mixing nostalgia and reference into each film definitely gives them a thumbs up from myself and many LBP fan's of the like. The story is in the vain of "Lord of The Rings" but with a better ending and not amazingly long and boring, where a group of mighty warriors must stop the evil Goblin King from tasting the egg salad for he'd rule the land with darkness. Joined by the cunning of a beautiful elf, these proud warriors set out on their adventure. Encountering battles with the minions of The Goblin King, and facing even crueler beasts such as Elegant Elliot the brood continue to march on to their feat and never back away as the true warriors they are

This film is really not for everyone, but indeed a cult classic amongst much films to offer in the LBP library. I have yet to be disappointed by the films I've seen so far and hell they're honest about their films they're "Low Budget Pictures" so if you can't dig with that shiz-nit you can suck Bone Jacks big black dick.The production quality isn't too bad either for it being low budget, it looks decent and the sound is clear, so suck it up jerkies. Plus how can one love independent films, when micro-budget and low budget are truly and honestly independent films? This may not be everyone's cup of tea but It's mine for sure.

The plot is pure satire and get's funnier as the film progresses, the Dvd also includes a making featurette which also offers a Hysterical intro by the late "Michael Jackson". There are references too many films, music and so on and it gives off an even better blend to the humor. The dialog in the film is insane and random and you feel like you're on a great acid trip on the way to the funny farm and that definitely is a great thing.I've had several parties where I showed and it made sides split and everyone of course thought Teen Ape was the man, cause he is.

This film, like many of the others, is definitely for fans of Troma and fans of the cult underground altogether. I highly recommend this and many other titles to anyone that can appreciate truly independent cinema. There are a lot of Independent companies and Directors out there that deserve more praise and credibility for their work, Chris Seaver and LBP are definitely one of the many and it's sad to say goodbye, but in my heart LBP will always remain insane and never forgotten. Stick around for more LBP reviews on my blog and with that "Quest For The Egg Salad" reigns an enchanting five egg salads out of five. "Now I want a fucking egg salad"

5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment