Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Slime City (1988)

Cast: Robert C. Sabin, Mary Huner and T.J. Merrick

Writer: Greg Lamberson

Director: Greg Lamberson

When I was a kid and video rental stores ruled the earth, I would always wander and peruse the horror section. This was one of many films as a kid I was not allowed to see cause my mom thought the cover was too disgusting. Many years later, while shopping for DVD'S, I see it as a new release and without question, just to ease my curiosity I buy it.Now I never seen or heard anything about this movie and even then I wasn't so active with the internet and such, I would just buy on instinct and intrigue unless it was something I did hear rave on or read up on in Fangoria. At most with this I read the back of the box and it further intrigued me into buying it cause it sounded just about right to my liking. Now on to my thoughts of the infamous "Slime City".

Many may wonder what a film like "Slime City" is about, well the film is about a young college student in the hunt for an apartment and so he finds a nice little affordable place. But the neighbors of this building are a bit odd. He's given strange wine and yogurt by them and starts to not feel well. He starts to become slimey and grows a rage to kill. Later he finds out each of his neighbors were all like him and have had their bodies taken over by the original occupants of the building which were all members of a cult.

That's the synopsis in a nutshell cause if you haven't seen this film, you MUST. This is really on the top of my list of cult classics and I highly recommend it. The plot is cool and very B with of course the horror elements, you do grow a like for the characters of the film, even as odd as some my be the all offer some form of wacky and odd input into the film and help make it great. It definitely as all the means and correct elements of it being the cult classic it is and the acting isn't half bad either.

The violence and bloodshed is also great and very different adding to the weirdness factor of this film and throwing off any form of being predictable, whereas one man's hand is eaten by a stomach. One of many odd yet awesome scenes in the film. Sure the film isn't swamped in gore but it is a gory fun flick and I'm sure it's appreciated by plenty of cult followers and will be by future followers as well.

Overall, I feel this was one of the best purchases I've ever made on a film with almost no input on, cause it was totally worth the value I paid for and introduced me to another film by Lamberson which I liked alot as well called "Naked Fear" Which comes as an extra feature on the DVD. I still plan on buying the "Grindhouse Collection" of "Slime City" cause it brings a few other films by Lamberson as well and I still can't wait to get my filthy mitts on the long awaited sequel to "Slime City" known as "Slime City Massacre" which Im certain is great. "Slime City" is a definite must for fans of the B and cult and is a royal gem in my collection that will alway be cherished and seen, This film beyond the shadow of a doubt gets five slimey corpses out of five.

5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment