Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Laid To Rest (2009)

Cast: Bobbi Sue Luther, Kevin Gage and Lena Headey

Writer: Robert Hall

Director: Robert Hall

On stumbling upon this film I had no idea what to think. I felt fortunate however cause it was on netflix shortly after it's release so my brother and I gave it a watch and thought, worse case scenario the move would suck. To our surprise it was a great film and we both felt lucky on making the decision to watch it. This was one of few films in a while to actually impress me and I knew from there this film would be legendary and it is. Impatiently awaiting the sequel I felt it only right to write up a review on the original. If you haven't seen this film yet all I can think is you're living in a "dead box" and hopefully my review can help convince those of you lost in nowhere land to watch this blood splattered masterpiece.

I'm not going to give off much of the plot as usual cause well, you know me I don't like to spoil too much. The film is about a girl (Bobbi Sue Luther) that wakes up in a coffin with total loss of memory, she get's out to find out a killer named Chrome Skull (Nick Principe) is trying to kill her. She get's out and does everything to escape but "Chrome Skull" stalks her every move and destroys everyone that comes in his way brutally. It's not long before she befriends to locals Tucker (Kevin Gage) and Steven (Sean Whalen) who of course become mixed up whilst trying to help our beautiful leading lady.

The plot, is awesome in my opinion. I like the feel of restlessness and the whole need to know but don't. You're left with a lot of unfilled answers the biggest being who is "Chrome Skull" and what's his motivation, but I personally feel sometimes you just don't need to know, you need to survive. Even if the audience want to know the film is still forgivable and for the most part you'd probably be too wrapped up in the film's violence to care who this guy is. Plus the pace is really fast and when it's over you'll definitely want more. Not that the film is short it's just that damn good.

The acting is really good and along with the pace, setting and atmosphere of the film I can't believe this film didn't get a theatrical release. I feel Bobbi Sue Luther is definitely a scream queen for this current generatn and more to come. She's a great actress and is extremely beautiful and the innocence she portrays in her character just makes you want to hold hr and say "that man's gone now, no more bad man." Kevin Gage and Sean Whalen are also great actors whom I feel are very well underrated and this is one of few films with Whalen where he wasn't some odd person with two lines  This is a true masterpiece of horror and it deserves to be over recognized. "Chrome Skull" is just awesome, he kind of looks like the kind of guy you'd see at a fetish masquerade, camera and all. He has killer wheels and an awesome arsenal of two really boss knives and whatever the hell he get's his hands on. He's big and mean and types on a cellphone and lets it do the talking for him. I didn't even know that was possible or maybe he's just that awesome.

The kill scenes were really impressive and bloody as well. Like "Victor Crowley" from "Hatchet", "Chrome Skull" aims to kill people dead and does a mighty fine job of doing so. You won't be disappointed by the death scenes in this film, you get a nice serving of brutality along with beautiful cinematography so you don't miss a drop of blood. It's not the goriest film ever made but the blood and gore in this film is splatterific and impressive. Hopefully the sequel spills more blood and is just as Impressive as the first one, judging on the fact Hall is still on board I'm sure it will be a superior sequel and will not disappoint. The trailer alone looks great and I can't wait till it's release. I haven't even bothered to read a synopsis of the sequel. I just couldn't resist the trailer. The posters look epic as well, so far the visual department for both films are great like the overall production of the first film.

Overall, this film is one of the best slasher films of the new millennium and I put this one on the top of my list with "Hatchet" as two of my all time favorite slasher films. Just don't make a Vs. movie in the future, those always fail. I highly recommend this to anyone that hasn't seen it and is in the mood for a good hack and slash thrill ride. Again, the pace, the setting the atmosphere is excellent. The acting is on point, the cinematography is great, the soundtrack is awesome and everything all of the above is what made this great film become an instant classic and why many a horror fan are impatiently awaiting the return of "Chrome Skull" in "Chrome Skull: Laid To Rest 2" and there will definitely be a review on that once its released but for now I rate this bloody masterpiece five severed heads out of five.

5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment